Workshops, Short Courses, and Seminars
Each Spring, the CAV holds its technology transfer workshop - a two day event held at Penn State attended by our corporate sponsors, international liaisons, US government liaisons, and Penn State CAV faculty and students. The workshop is a mix of technical presentations by faculty, students, corporate sponsors, and international and US government liaisons, along with lab tours and social activities. The workshop also gives our corporate sponsors an opportunity to provide feedback on CAV activities and performance.
This year’s CAV Spring workshop was held 5-6 May 2015, and was attended by over 50 corporate sponsors, government liaisons, and international liaisons, as well as over 60 Penn State faculty and students.
This year's workshop featured:
- Talks from our 8 CAV technical groups, 7 international liaisons, and some of our new and old sponsors. The final agenda is available here.
- Our fourth annual student poster competition.
- A one day short course on Cepstrum Analysis of Machinery Vibration and Structural Health., given by Dr. Bob Randall of the University of New South Wales, Australia.
The workshop was attended by over 50 corporate sponsors, government liaisons, and international liaisons, as well as over 60 Penn State faculty and students.
Below are links to the 2015 presentations for the CAV groups (including the workshop agenda):
- CAV Introduction and Workshop agenda, by Dr. George Lesieutre
- Acoustic Characterization of Materials, by Dr. Bernie Tittmann and Ken Ledford
- Adaptive Structures and Noise Control, by Dr. George Lesieutre
- Flow Induced Noise, by Dr. Mike Jonson and Russell Powers
- Systems and Structures Health Management, by Dr. Karl Reichard and Dr. Cliff Lissenden
- Propagation and Radiation, by Dr. Vic Sparrow
- Rotorcraft Acoustics and Dynamics, by Dr. Steve Hambric and Dr. Ed Smith
- Structural Vibration and Acoustics, including research in turbine blade frictional damping, by Dr. Steve Hambric and Dr. Alok Sinha
- Underwater Acoustics and Instrumentation, by Dr. Amanda Hanford and Dr. Derek Olson
There were also several special presentations from our corporate sponsors and international and government liaisons:
- Flow-Induced Vibration Research at Bechtel Marine Propulsion Company, by Dr. Kristin Lai-Fook Cody, BMPC
- Noise and Vibration Challenges in the Tire Industry, by Robert Asper, Bridgestone
- Considerations for Refrigeration Compressor Muffler Design, by Jin Liu, Carrier BIS
- Overview of Noise Control Research at ITT, by Mark Downing, ITT
- Smart Diagnostics work at KCF, by Jeremy Frank, KCF
- Launch Vehicle Vibrations, by Matt Bloom, ULA
- , by Dr. Antonio Concilio, CIRA - Italy
- KU Leuven Acoustics and Vibration Research, by Dr. Wim Desmet, KU-Leuven - Belgium
- Research at the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, by Dr. Paul White, ISVR - England
- Different means of active control to reduce tonal turbomachinery noise, by Dr. Lars Enghardt, DLR - Germany
- In-duct Identification of Fluid-Borne Rotating Sound Source with High Spatial Resolution, by Dr. J.G. Ih, KAIST - Korea
- Field Reconstruction by Inverse Methods in Vibro-acoustics, by Dr. Nicolas Totaro, INSA de Lyon - France
- Acoustics and Vibration Research at UNSW , by Dr. Bob Randall, UNSW - Australia
Finally, other Penn State topics were highlighted:
- Overview of the Penn State Graduate Program in Acoustics, by Dr. Vic Sparrow
- Manipulating Cells using Sound, by Dr. Tony Huang
Periodically, the CAV sponsors short courses in CAV disciplines. Usually, we schedule the short courses before or after our Spring Workshop so that our corporate sponsors are best able to attend them. This year, Bob Randall tought a short course on Cepstrum Analysis of Machinery Vibration and Structural Health. on 7 May 2015. Sponsors and liaisons may send one person to the course at no charge. The fee for additional registrants is $600. Past short courses have included:
- Vibration and Noise Control (by Marty Alexander of Bruel and Kjaer)
- Flow Noise (by Phil Morris and Tim Brungart)
- Fundamentals of Sound and Vibration Measurements (by Chris Barber)
- Digital Signal Processing (by Karl Reichard)
- Shock and Vibration Testing (by Joe Testa of Unholtz-Dickie)
- Statistical Energy Analysis (by Evan Davis of Boeing)
- Structural Health Monitoring (by Karl Reichard and Jeff Banks)
- Turbomachinery Noise (by Wolfgang Neise of DLR)
- Active Control of Sound and Vibration (by Phil Nelson and Steve Elliott of ISVR)
- Structure-borne sound (by the late Manfred Heckl)
Each semester, each CAV technical group hosts a lunchtime seminar. CAV members, as well as outside guests from other universities, government agencies, or industry, give technical talks on topics of interest to the CAV community.
These talks are available to our corporate sponsors via the videoconferencing capability housed in the Penn State Graduate Program in Acoustics classroom. We announce the talks to our members and corporate sponsors about a week in advance, and provide videoconferencing access information to our corporate sponsors. We have also established an archive of past talks that are accessible only to our members.